with maple syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup steel cut oatmeal
4 cups hot water
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup chopped apple (I used honey crisp)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped walnuts for garnish; if desired
1/4 cup chopped apples for garnish; if desired
1. Heat butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until melted. Add in the steel cut oats and toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and salt.
3. Add hot water, stir and bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat down to low; allow the oats to cook for 20 minutes.
4. Remove lid and stir in chopped apples and maple syrup. Continue cooking, uncovered for 10 minutes, or until oats reach your desired texture.
5. Serve in a bowl or hollowed out apple and garnish with walnuts, fresh chopped apples and a drizzle of maple syrup.